Program Areas | College of Agricultural Sciences | SIU
Crop Improvement, Production, and Protection
- Crop Improvement: Develop and distribute germplasm for plant disease and insect resistance, seed quality, and yield.
- Crop Production: Improve cultural methods to enhance sustainable soybean production.
- Crop Protection: Identify, test, and improve strategies and technologies for managing weed, disease, nematode, and insect problems.
Biotechnology and Genomics
- Biotechnology: Enhance plant and seed characteristics, processing and utilization, and techniques for plant selection.
- Genomics: Sequence and characterize the soybean genome to identify genes and their functions.
- Technology Transfer: Expand grower, supplier, and consumer knowledge about soybean through education and outreach.
Environmental Sustainability, Economics, and Policy
- Environmental Sustainability: Conserve and protect environmental resources by developing best management practices for soybean production and promoting soy products as renewable resources.
- Economics and Policy: Using socio-economic tools to assess the saftey and acceptance of technologies for soybean production and use.
- International Activites: Enhance crop production, processing, and utilization in many parts of the developing world.
Health and Nutrition
- Human Health: Increase utilization of soy-enhanced food products in human diets to combat obesity, diabetes, and cardio-vascular diseases.
- Nutrition: Enhance human and animal nutrition by improving quality of soybean composition.