Karen Midden, M.S.
Interim Dean, College of Agricultural Sciences
Office Phone: 618 | 453-2469
Building Location: Agriculture Building, Room 204
Karen began at SIU in 1985 with an expertise in landscape horticulture, landscape architecture and design. She currently is the Associate Dean for the College of Agricultural Sciences. Karen continues teaching in the Plant, Soil and Agricultural Systems Department and oversees the college's green roof, vertical garden and other sustainable projects installed by her classes and other students. She also organized an online master program entitled Ecological Urban Landscapes. Her recent outreach efforts include training agriculture technicians in The Gambia, Africa who work with Women Cooperative Farmers.
- Ecological Landscape and sustainable landscape practices
- International Agriculture
- Children’s Gardens and related education
- Online teaching
- HORT 328A Landscape Design
- HORT 328B Landscape Design Studio
- HORT/PSAS 428 Advanced Landscape Design I
- HORT/PSAS 429 Advanced Landscape Design II
- HORT/PSAS 480 Designing Outdoor Spaces
- HORT/PSAS 462 Sustainable Landscape Practices
- Master’s Landscape Architecture, University of Georgia
- Master’s Plant and Soil Science, Southern Illinois University
- Starbuck, Sara, Marla Oltholf and Karen Midden. 2014. Gardening with Young Children. Redleaf Press. St. Paul, Minnesota.
- Ouellette, Nick, Alan Walters and Karen Midden. 2013. Evaluation of Tomato Fertilization Treatments on a Green Roof. Journal of Living Architecture. Issue 1, https://livingarchitecturemonitor.com
- Magill, John D. Karen Midden, John Groninger and Matthew Therell. 2011. A History and Definition of Green Roof Technology with Recommendations for Future Research. Research Papers.91.
- SIUC Ag Building Gets a Green Roof [The Southern Illinoisan, 09/23/2010]
- SIUC Green Roof to Explore Native Plantings [Green Roof Solutions, 08/17/2010]
- "Nine Projects Receive Green Fund Awards[The Saluki Times, 06/29/2010]
- "Agriculture Building to Get Green Roof" [Daily Egyptian Newspaper, 03/01/2010]
- "Volunteers Needed to Plant 200 Trees in One Day" (The Saluki Times 11/06/2009]
- "Midden Wins Prestigious Award for Public Service," [SIUC Press Release, 05/12/2004]