Assistant Professor, Animal Science Food and Nutrition
Office Phone: 618 | 453-1358
Building Location: Agriculture Building, Room 131
Areas of interest include Equine Nutrition, Metagenomics, Probiotics, Canine Nutrition, and Working Animal Performance.
- ANS 219 - Introductory Horse Management
- ANS 409 - Equine Science
- ANS 419 - Stable Management
- ANS 429 - Equine Enterprise Management
- B.S. Southeast Missouri State University
- M.S. University of Missouri - Columbia
- Ph.D. University of Missouri - Columbia
Recent Publications and Awards
- "Assessment of equine fecal microbial profiles during and after a colic episode using pyrosequencing." Journal of Equine Veterinary Science Volume 33, Issue 5, Pages 347-348, May 2013, https://www.j-evs.com/article/S0737-0806%2813%2900173-1/fulltext
- E. Venable, Discepolo, D., Powell, E. and Liang, S., 2017. An evaluation of current working canine decontamination procedures and methods for improvement. Journal of Veterinary Behavior: Clinical Applications and Research. 21:53:58 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.jveb.2017.07.008
- E. Perry, N. Gulson, T.-W. Liu, and K. S. Swanson. 2017. Physiological effects of stress related to helicopter travel in FEMA search and rescue canines. Journal of Nutritional Sciences. 6:e28 https://dx.doi.org/10.1017%2Fjns.2017.25
- S. Bland, E. Venable, J. McPherson, R. Atkinson. 2017. Effects of turmeric, curcumin and liposomal-curcumin on bacterial populations found in the equine hindgut – preliminary study. Journal of Animal Science and Technology 59, 15. https://doi.org/10.1186/s40781-017-0138-4
- E. Venable, K. Fenton, V. Braner, C. Reddington, M. Halpin, S. Heitz, J. Francis, N. Gulson, C. Goyer, S. Bland, T-W. Liu, H. Holscher, and K. Swanson. Effects of meal size and frequency on the equine cecal microbiota. Journal of Equine Veterinary Science 49:113-121
- E. Venable, S. Bland, H. Holscher, and K. Swanson. 2016. Effects of air travel stress on the canine microbiome: a pilot study. International Journal of Veterinary Health and Science 4(6) 132-139.
- E. Venable, S. Bland, J. McPherson, and J. Francis. 2016. Role of the gut microbiota in equine health and disease. Animal Frontiers. 6(3) 43-49
- E. Venable, S. Bland, V. Braner, N. Gulson, and M. Halpin. 2015. Effect of grazing muzzles on the rate of pelleted feed intake in horses. Journal of Veterinary Behavior: Clinical Applications and Research. Volume 11. P 56-59.
- E. Venable, J. Kraemer, S. Sparks, and C. Goyer. 2015. Effect of crumb rubber made from recycled tires on air quality in an indoor riding arena: a pilot study. Journal of Equine Veterinary Science. Volume 36. P 97-100.
- R. L. Kallenbach, E. B. Venable, M. S. Kerley, N.J. Bailey. 2010. Beef Production on Silvopastures with Stockpiled Tall Fescue. Agroforestry Systems. 80:379-384.