Sara Long Roth, Ph.D.
Professor Emeritus, Animal Science Food and Nutrition
Dr. Roth has been an active leader in national, state, and district dietetic professional associations where she served in numerous elected and appointed positions. She has served in the Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics House of Delegates as a delegate from Illinois and in the capacity of a Professional Issues Delegate (Education). Furthermore, she has served on the governing boards of the Illinois Dietetic Association, Accreditation Council for Education in Nutrition and Dietetics (ACEND), and Commission on Dietetic Registration (CDR).
Sara Long Roth has received various awards and honors for teaching, including Outstanding Dietetic Educator (Area V DEP), Undergraduate Student Government Outstanding Educator for the College of Agriculture, and College of Agricultural Sciences Teacher of the Year.
Prior to her tenure in academics, Dr. Roth practiced as a clinical dietitian for 11 years. She is passionate about students being able to think critically as well as being good stewards of didactic information.
- PhD Health Education
- MS Human Development
- BS Food and Nutrition, specialization in Dietetics
Recent Publications and Awards
- Professor of the Year, Animal Science, Food and Nutrition, Inter-Greek Council of Southern Illinois University Carbondale Inaugural Celebration of Campus Authors, Southern Illinois University Carbondale, 2012
- Nelms MN, Roth SL.: Medical Nutrition Therapy: A Case Study Approach, 4th ed., Belmont, CA: Wadsworth/CENGAGE Learning, 2013.
- Boyle MA and Roth SL. Personal Nutrition, 8th ed., Belmont, CA: Wadsworth/ CENGAGE Learning, 2012
- Schlenker ED and Roth SL: William’s Essentials of Nutrition and Diet Therapy, 10th ed., St. Louis, MO: Mosby/Elsevier Health Sciences, 2011.
- Grodner M and Roth SL, Walkingshaw B: Foundations and Clinical Applications of Nutrition: A Nursing Approach, 5th ed., St. Louis, MO: Mosby, an Elsevier Science Imprint, 2011.
- Nelms MN, Sucher K, Lacey K, Roth SL. Nutrition Therapy and Pathophysiology, 2nd ed. Belmont, CA: Wadsworth/Thomson Learning, 2011.
- Dietetics Programs Earn Re-accreditation [The Saluki Times, 01/24/2011]