Karen Jones, Ph.D.
Department Chair for PSAS, Animal Science Food and Nutrition
Office Phone: 618 | 453-2496
Building Location: Agriculture Building, Room 178
Dr. Jones arrived at SIUC in 1999 after completing her doctoral training at Texas A and M University. Dr. Jones hobbies include swimming, quilting, gardening and walking her dogs. She is married with two children and one grandson.
Dr. Jones interests include animal biotechnology, fescue toxicosis, seasonality in horses, and lipid metabolism. She is a reproductive physiologist and molecular geneticist.
- ANS 332 Animal Breeding and Genetics
- UHON 351 Sustainable Agriculture
- AGRI 550 Teaching and Research Communications
- AGRI 351 i2i Project Development
- Ph.D. , Texas A and M University
- M.S. , Texas A and M University
- B.S. , Texas A and M University
Recent Publications and Awards
- Southern Illinois University Faculty and Staff Excellence Award Program, The Women of Distinction Award, 2012.
- Oberhaus, E., K.L. Jones, S.S. King. 2015. Immunohistochemical localization of prolactin receptors within the equine ovary. J Equine Vet Sci. 35(1):7-12.
- Haag, K.T., D.M. Magalhães-Padilha, G.R. Fonseca, A. Wishral, M.O. Gastal, S.S. King, K.L. Jones, J.R. Figueiredo, E.L. Gastal. 2013. In vitro culture of equine preantral follicles obtained via biopsy pick-up method. Therio. 79(6):911-917.
- Haag, K.T., D.M. Magalhães-Padilha, G.R. Fonseca, A. Wishral, M.O. Gastal, S.S. King, K.L. Jones, J.R. Figueiredo, E.L. Gastal. 2013. Quantification, morphology and viability of equine preantral follicles obtained via biopsy pick-up method. Therio. 79(4):599-609.
- Faulkner, M.J., P.M. Walker, R.L. Atkinson, L.A. Forster, K.L. Jones, and J.M. Carmack. 2012. Effects of low fat, modified wet distiller’s grain with solubles on the performance of limit-fed beef cows. Prof Anim Sci. 28:604-611.
- Magalhães-Padilha, D.M., G.R. Fonseca, K.T. Haag, A. Wischral, M.O. Gastal, K.L. Jones, J. Geisler-Lee, J.R. Figueiredo, and E.L. Gastal. 2012. Long-term in vitro culture of ovarian cortical tissue in goats: effects of FSH and IGF-I on preantral follicular development and FSH and IGF-I receptors mRNA expression. Cell and Tissue Research. 350:503-511
- Gudla, P. A.A. AbuGhazaleh, A. Ishlak, K. Jones. 2012. The effect of level of forage and oil supplement on biohydrogenation intermediates and bacteria in continuous cultures. Animal Feed Science and Technology. 171: 108-116.
- Potu, R. B., A. A., AbuGhazaleh, D. Hastings, K. Jones, and S. A. Ibrahim. 2011. The Effect of Lipid Supplements on Ruminal Bacteria in Continuous Culture Fermenters Varies with the Fatty Acid Composition. Journal of Microbiology. 49(2):216-223.
- King, S.S., E.A. Dille, T. Marlo, J.F. Roser, and K.L. Jones. 2010. Ovarian prolactin activity: Evidence of local action and production. Anim Reprod Sci. 121S:51-53.