Jeremy Davis, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Animal Science Food and Nutrition
Office Phone: 618 | 453-1760
Building Location: Agriculture Building, Room 111
My primary research interests are focused on elucidating the cellular mechanisms that link obesity to its related comorbidities, such as diabetes and nonalcoholic fatty liver disease. Our recent work has examined the hepatoprotective properties of soy (i.e. phytoestrogens and fatty acids) using a variety of in vivo and in vitro approaches. Additionally, my laboratory is investigating the dietary regulation of adipogenesis and its potential implications for obesity.
- HND 485 Advanced Nutrition
- HND 425 Nutritional Biochemistry
- ANS 500 Research Methods
- HND 345 Nutrition for Sport and Exercise
- HND 101 Personal Nutrition
- ANS 516 Vitamins and Minerals
- Ph.D. , Iowa State University
- M.S. , Southern Illinois University Carbondale
- B.S. , University of Vermont
Recent Publications and Awards
- Casey JM, Banz WJ, Krul ES, Butteiger DN, Goldstein DA, Davis JE. Effect of Stearidonic Acid-Enriched Soybean Oil on Metabolic and Fatty Acid Profile in Lean and Obese Zucker Rats. J Nutr. (Under Review)
- Davis JE, Banz WJ, Peterson RE. Age-related effects of high fat feeding on adipose tissue and metabolic profile in ZDSD rats. J Obes. (Under Review)
- Zhou D, Lezmi S, Wang H, Davis J, Banz W, Chen H. Soy Protein Isolate Mediated the Wnt/β-Catenin Signaling Pathway and Alleviated Fat Accumulation in the Liver of Obese Zucker Rats. Hepatology. (Under Review)
- Banz WJ, Strader AD, Ajuwon KM, Hou Y, Meyers CY, Davis JE. (+)-z-bisdehydrodoisynolic Acid enhances Basal metabolism and Fatty Acid oxidation in female obese zucker rats. J Obes. 2012: 154145.
- Banz WJ, Davis JE, Clough RW, Cheatwood JL. Stearidonic acid: is there a role in the prevention and management of type 2 diabetes mellitus? J Nutr. 2012; 142(3):635S-640S.
- Davis JE, Braucher DR, Walker-Daniels J, Spurlock ME. Absence of Tlr2 protects against high-fat diet-induced inflammation and results in greater insulin-stimulated glucose transport in cultured adipocytes. J Nutr Biochem. 2011; 22(2):136-41.
- Chaffin ME, Berg KE, Meendering JR, Llewellyn TL, French JA, Davis JE. Interleukin-6 and delayed onset muscle soreness do not vary during the menstrual cycle. Res Q Exerc Sport. 2011; 82(4):693-701
- Cain J, Banz WJ, Butteiger D, Davis JE. Soy protein isolate modified metabolic phenotype and hepatic wnt signaling in obese zucker rats. Horm Metab Res. 2011; 43(11):774-81.
- Boddicker RL, Whitley EM, Davis JE, Birt DF, Spurlock ME. Low-dose dietary resveratrol has differential effects on colorectal tumorigenesis in adiponectin knockout and wild-type mice. Nutr Cancer. 2011; 63(8):1328-38.
- Davis, J.E. Hou Y, Meyers CY, Banz WJ. Potential Clinical Applications of (-), (+) and (±)-Z-Bisdehydrodoisynolic Acids in Metabolic Disorders. Recent Patents on Endocrine, Metabolic and Immune Drug Discovery. 2009; 3(3):173-8.
- Davis JE, Gabler NK, Walker-Daniels J, Spurlock ME. The c-jun N-terminal kinase mediates the induction of oxidative stress and insulin resistance by palmitate and toll-like receptor 2 and 4 ligands in 3T3-L1 adipocytes. Horm Metab Res. 2009; 41(7):523-30.
- Davis JE, Gabler NK, Walker-Daniels J, Spurlock ME. Tlr-4 deficiency selectively protects against obesity induced by diets high in saturated fat. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2008; 16(6):1248-55.
- Davis J, Higginbotham A, O'Connor T, Moustaid-Moussa N, Tebbe A, Kim YC, Cho KW, Shay N, Adler S, Peterson R, Banz W. Soy protein and isoflavones influence adiposity and development of metabolic syndrome in the obese male ZDF rat. Ann Nutr Metab. 2007; 51(1):42-52.
- Jacobi SK, Gabler NK, Ajuwon KM, Davis JE, Spurlock ME. Adipocytes, myofibers, and cytokine biology: new horizons in the regulation of growth and body composition. J Anim Sci. 2006; 84 Suppl:E140-9.
- Davis J, Iqbal MJ, Steinle J, Oitker J, Higginbotham DA, Peterson RG, Banz WJ. Soy protein influences the development of the metabolic syndrome in male obese ZDFxSHHF rats. Horm Metab Res. 2005; 37(5):316-25.
- Davis J, Steinle J, Higginbotham DA, Oitker J, Peterson RG, Banz WJ. Soy protein influences insulin sensitivity and cardiovascular risk in male lean SHHF rats. Horm Metab Res. 2005; 37(5):309-15.
- Banz WJ, Davis J, Steinle JJ, Adler S, Oitker J, Winters TA, Higginbotham DA, Hou Y, Henry N, Peterson R, Meyers CY. (+)-Z-Bisdehydrodoisynolic acid ameliorates obesity and the metabolic syndrome in female ZDF rats. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2005; 13(11):1915-24.
- Banz WJ, Davis J, Peterson R, Iqbal MJ. Gene expression and adiposity are modified by soy protein in male Zucker diabetic fatty rats. Obesity (Silver Spring). 2004; 12(12):1907-13
- Obesity Research
- Dietary Factors Influencing the Characteristics and Spread of Fat Cells
- "Agriculture College Welcomes Two Faculty Members" [The Saluki Times, 08/12/2008]
- "Researchers Study Inflammation's Link to Obesity" [The Saluki Times, 10/07/2009]