Rebecca Atkinson, Ph.D.
Associate Professor, Animal Science Food and Nutrition
Office Phone: 618 | 453-5000
Building Location: Agriculture Building, Room 131
Rebecca grew up on a ranch in WY and is passionate about the beef cattle industry. She started at SIU in August of 2006; as an associate professor she enjoys teaching our future generations about beef and livestock production. As a ruminant nutritionist she continues to help beef producers through conducting applied research to increase cattle efficiency while keeping production costs low.
Rebecca currently investigates the use of alternative forages to extend the grazing season and/or reduce the use of harvested feeds. Forages are investigated for quality, palatability, and digestibility as well as the suitability to introduce the forage into existing grazing systems. She is also interested in the use of by-products in all segments of the beef industry.
- ANS 122 – Introduction to Animal Science Laboratory
- ANS 314 – Forages
- ANS 315 – Feeds and Feeding
- ANS 316 – Ration balancing for Companion Animals
- ANS 381 – Senior Seminar
- ANS 481 – Current topics in Companion Animal Nutrition
- ANS 485 – Beef Production and Management
Course descriptions can be found in the course listing for Animal Science [ANS].
- Ph.D. Ruminant Nutrition, University of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyoming, August 2006
- M.S. Ruminant Nutrition, University of Wyoming, Laramie, Wyoming, December 2003
- B.S. Biology/Chemistry, Black Hills State University, Spearfish, South Dakota, May 1999
Recent Publications and Awards
- Veracini, J. L., P. M. Walker, M. J. Faulkner, R. E. Hall, R. L. Atkinson and B. R. Wiegand. 2012. Effects of high fat modified wet distiller’s grain plus solubles on beef steer performance and carcass characteristics. Livestock Sci. (accepted)
- Veracini, J. L., P. M. Walker, B. R. Wiegand, R. L. Atkinson, M. J. Faulkner, and L. A. Forster. 2012. Effects of reduced fat modified wet distiller’s grains with solubles on beef steer performance. Prof. Anim. Sci. (accepted)
- Faulkner, M. J., P. M. Walker, R. L. Atkinson, L. A. Forster, K. L. Jones, and J. M. Carmack. 2012. Effects of low fat modified wet distiller’s grain with solubles on beef cow performance. Prof. Anim. Sci. (accepted)
- Atkinson, R. L., P. M. Walker, S. W. Reader, J. M. Carmack, K. Ajuwon, S. L. Lake, and B. R. Wiegand. 2011. Effect of low fat corn distiller’s grains fed at 40 and 70% inclusion on performance and meat quality of steers. Prof. Anim. Sci. 28:41-55.
- Atkinson, R. L., D. R. Sanders, K. Jones, and I. J. Altman. 2010. An evaluation of purebred bull pricing: implications for beef herd management. J. ASFMRA
- Atkinson, R. L., C. D. Toone and P. A. Ludden. 2010. Effects of ruminal protein degradability and frequency of supplementation on site and extent of digestion in lambs fed low-quality forage. J. Anim. Sci. 88:718-726.
- Atkinson, R. L., C. D. Toone, D. L. Harmon, and P. A. Ludden. 2010. Effects of ruminal protein degradability and frequency of supplementation on nitrogen retention, apparent digestibility and nutrient flux across visceral tissues in lambs fed low-quality forage. J. Anim. Sci. 88:727-736.
- 2012 – Outstanding Teach Award, presented by the College of Agricultural Sciences
- 2009 - Donald M. Elkins Excellence in Education Award, presented by the Agriculture Student Advisory Council, SIUC
- 2009 - Young Alumni Achievement Award, BHSU
Links to University Farm Centers